Thursday 28 November 2019

St Leonards' Writers

We meet weekly in a side chapel and each time I
attend, I sit facing this stained glass window.
I'm delighted to be a member of St. Leonard's Writers' group, which I definitely had to join early in 2017 as, not only are they a great bunch of talented people, but also I discovered that the group meets weekly in St. Ethelburga's Church, which is about 30 metres from my front door. It would've been positively rude to ignore them! I could have joined the group a year earlier but didn't know they were here, their website was then a bit neglected and uncommunicative. It's now been renewed and updated.

St Ethelburga's was built in the twentieth century, 1929, though in a traditional style, with a beautiful roof in a tithe barn form. They lend space for a number of local group activities.

I've been in other writer's groups, when I lived in West Yorkshire and always found them hugely encouraging and supportive. St Leonards Writers is no exception. Friendly, supportive people, lots of laughs, plenty of great writing and useful, constructive criticism. Also coffee and biscuits. Can writers cope without coffee..?

I've become a committee member - most people seem to be on the committee automatically unless they opt out.  I'm also the group's librarian so have taken charge of donated books which group members can borrow, as well as previous unsold anthologies and archive materials.

We're in the process of collating a new anthology, the group's fifth but the first that I've been involved with. It will have short stories and poems by group members.

We are also preparing a new, more accessible and lively website. The site is now live, though still under construction. The link probably won't work yet, so copy and paste to find it -
 http://stleonardswriters.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment