Sunday 27 January 2019

Bad Luck and Trouble - a Jack Reacher Story by Lee Child

I knew I'd read a lot of thrillers in my teens and I knew I'd read at least one Lee Child novel in the past but couldn't for the life of me remember which. Bad Luck and Trouble fell into my hands from a shelf of books for commuters to share and/or replace at the small train station near my home. 

I approve of this trend to put shelves of books in public places. I nearly didn't choose the Lee Child book because it's a thick paperback, but the only other book I felt like reading at the time was a heavy hardback which I really didn't feel like carrying around all day. It seemed a bit random, does anybody else decide what to read based on the weight of the book? 

Anyway I picked up Bad Luck and Trouble and read it on the train to London. 

In London I went to see Macbeth at the Globe theatre - a play in the Globe's indoor auditorium which is without electric lighting. Macbeth, by candlelit, was completely gripping, grim and dramatic. 

On the way home I read some more of the book and finished it the next day. Bad Luck and Trouble is also completely gripping, grim and dramatic. And incredibly well written, the author's skill is mesmerising, drags you along even when you don't want to go. I easily finished the 500+ pages in 36 hours despite the Macbeth distraction. 

Would I read Bad Luck and Trouble again? Probably not, I'll return it to the station bookshelf. I will look for more Lee Child books because of his writing quality. Maybe I'll try the earlier ones so I can see where jack Reacher is coming from. Would I go to see Macbeth again? Yes. Not sure how that comparison stands up, but there it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment